Call me narcissist if you must but this blog is all about ME. I have another blog about my kids, whom I love and adore writing about. But I was Nicole a long time before I was mom and I don't intend to give up being Nicole overnight.

p.s.
You can read all about my kids at Naptime Optional.
Or you can follow along on our Arizona adventure on my 365 project blog.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Traveling with kids a.k.a. Pure Insanity!

This post could also be titled "Pure Insanity".

I saw this quote today. "There are two classes of travel: First class, and with children." -Robert Benchley I have to admit, I didn't know who Robert Benchley was, but the quote seemed appropriate. You see, I'm beginning to get a tad bit apprehensive about taking the kids to Disneyland next month. I've been reading a couple of guidebooks and now I'm wondering if I am certifiably insane.

At any rate, the trip is already paid for so it's too late to back out now.

So my BIG question, the thing I am losing sleep over, is which camera do I take???

In as much as this is the kids' first visit to the Happiest Place on Earth I anticipate lots of magical memories and I want to capture each and every one. I've invested a decent amount of money to have a nice-ish camera. I even just ordered a new lens. (50 mm f/1.8) What is the point of my investment if I leave the camera home?

And yet, I'll be honest, sometimes when I take my camera it feels like an extra kid to take care of. I have to be aware of where it is at all times. I have to protect it from getting wet or damaged. And I'm pretty sure I would feel uneasy about leaving it in my hotel room during the day. Which means if I take it to CA with me it will pretty much be with me ALL the time.

One of my other concerns is that my current camera bag is a backpack. I love it when on a shoot. But I'm wondering if it's going to be a pain getting on and off rides at Disneyland. Do I want to carry it around my neck ALL day? Plus I'm worried if I'll end up SO worried about getting THE PICTURE that I'll forget to just have fun and live in the moment. I want to capture the moment, not ruin the moment. It is a dilemma.

I'm considering just taking my Powershot point and shoot. But wonder if I will regret that decision....

And then there is the question of whether or not to take the video camera. My iphone has video capability and is quite compact. Do I take my still camera only and depend on my phone for video moments? Or use my iphone for stills and take the camcorder? Because I draw the line at taking BOTH the DSLR and the camcorder. It has to be one or the other.

Advice, please! How can I most effectively navigate being both a mother and a photographer?

4 comments:

Emilee said...

you will love the new lens. and i take my powershot (yes cannon, i am not a snob!) to places like that. you can still get decent pitcures if you adjust white balance and use the right modes...then you can enjoy it...but that is just me. you guys will have fun! so jealous. when we travel we open a dollar store present that they dont konw about about every hour. sometimes food, sometimes an avtivity. it is the best thing i have ever done to help traveling. we hardly use the dvd. we also make them run around and around/race/whatever every time we stop...just a suggestion...

ME Moon said...

take the point and shoot. you will be having so much fun you'll forget to take pictures anyway. and not sure was the policy is about having a backpack on rides....they might make you leave it at the entrance....

Dana said...

I went to Disney and took my "good" camera on the first day. After that it stayed at the hotel and I stuck to a carry camera. I'd rather enjoy myself and live in the moment instead of documenting it all.

If you are worried about good pictures, get a good P&S and don't worry too much!

orangemily said...

I say take your smaller camera. For the posed shots they have photographers all over the park that you give your "photopass" to, to order those when you get home is pretty expensive, BUT they are nice photographers and will take a pic with your camera if you ask. You can take a bag with you on the ride and it's not that tricky (I carried a baby the last 2 times we went).
Even though your kids are bigger I suggest taking a stroller for many reasons: 1. You can pile all your things in it including lunch, coats, sunglasses, water bottles and 2. When the kids get tired they can take turns riding. I left our stroller outside each ride we went on all over the park and no one even touched it (I didn't leave anything valuable in it, but I wasn't worried about anyone taking my coats or lunch).