Call me narcissist if you must but this blog is all about ME. I have another blog about my kids, whom I love and adore writing about. But I was Nicole a long time before I was mom and I don't intend to give up being Nicole overnight.

p.s.
You can read all about my kids at Naptime Optional.
Or you can follow along on our Arizona adventure on my 365 project blog.

Friday, May 1, 2009

Flashback Friday

My wonderful Sister-in-law Karen has graciously consented to writing today's Flashback Friday. Her grandfather Edgar Carlson passed away this week and I thought it only fitting to pay him a small tribute today. (my husband's grandfather, too, in case your family tree skills are a little off)

I was only privileged to be in his presence a handful of times. So I thought it was fitting to have somebody who knew him well write today's post.


I think most little girls love their grandparents. I was no different. Some of my earliest memories with them are spending the night at their home at South Lake Tahoe. Grandpa's house had that sweet grandparently smell and when I close my eyes I can still sometimes bring those smells to my recollection. I know that I must have been a pretty cool or very bratty little kid because when I spent the night at their home I was allowed to sleep between them in their bed.

My grandpa was a large man, not just physically. Even his towering 6' frame seemed too small to contain his large heart and spirit. He was a man of substance, of character. I remember overhearing him talk to my brother and brother-in-law once about what he thought of goatees. He didn't mince words. He told it like he thought it.

As a little girl, I associated how much someone loved me with how tightly they squeezed when hugging me. I can assure you, I was certain that my grandpa loved me more than anyone else. Sometimes I wished he had loved me just a little less.

My sweet Grandpa passed away this week. I know him better now than I did most of my life. Funny how all our lives our grandparents are just our grandparents and that is all they are in our worlds. This week I learned my Grandpa was a man. A man with hopes, dreams, achievements, disappointments and plans. He was a son, a brother, a father. He was a husband, a friend, a business man. He was the son of two Swedish immigrants. All that said, the most important person he was to me was Grandpa. I feel blessed and grateful to have known him and to be a part of his family.





IMG_0632

IMG_0622

IMG_0583

6 comments:

Squirty Wart said...

Thankyou so much, Karen and Nicole!

Will said...

Thank you for my daily tears.

Jen said...

What a great tribute! Looks like he was a great man.

orangemily said...

Very sweet remembrances!

Karen said...

Thanks for letting me share some of my memories.

Annj said...

He has that grandfatherly look. Even though I didn't know him your sis-in-law's tribute made me cry. He sounded like a sweet man.