Call me narcissist if you must but this blog is all about ME. I have another blog about my kids, whom I love and adore writing about. But I was Nicole a long time before I was mom and I don't intend to give up being Nicole overnight.

p.s.
You can read all about my kids at Naptime Optional.
Or you can follow along on our Arizona adventure on my 365 project blog.

Friday, April 3, 2009

Flashback Friday

Today's edition of Flashback Friday is a tad scary. No, it's not about Halloween or haunted houses. But it does involve revealing a bit about my inner self, about the way I think. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is downright frightening at times!

So, before the memory you get a question. When you let your mind wander, when you have nothing else you have to be thinking about, what do you think about? Because I think about movie scenes. And I'm not talking about scenes from movies that I've actually seen. I mean I create movie scenes. Sometimes I'll even stick with the same scene for several weeks re-thinking it to make it better. I'll fix some of the dialogue or change the blocking or add some music for dramatic effect. Mind you I've never come up with an idea for an entire movie. It's always just a scene. A little tidbit. A teaser, a trailer. Sometimes the characters don't even have names. Does that make me strange? (please don't answer that question!)

For quite some time I was trying to work out a scene about how the male and female romantic leads would meet each other. I sing along to the radio in my car, quite loud and energetically sometimes. So I was trying to work out the details of a woman singing in her car while stopped at a red light. As she's singing away with much gusto she looks at the car next to her and sees a very handsome man singing along to the exact same song.

This scene was fresh in my head one morning as I was driving to work. As usual I was singing along to the song on the radio. While stopped at a red light I look over and see a guy I work with in the car next to me. And he was evidently listening to the same radio station because he was singing along to the same song I was! No joke.

Here's where it gets really weird though. Unlike the movie scene I had written and re-written in my head several times he was not handsome. He was a guy in our IT department and was the epitome of Geek! Now if I'm calling somebody a geek you know it must be bad because I score close to "total geek" on The Geek Test. But this guy he wasNapolean Dynamite Geek! Big glasses and everything. I seriously think that with all the stylish glasses available these days you actually have to special order glasses that ugly! But that's beside the point.

I couldn't help myself. The whole thing was so ridiculous that I started giggling. I couldn't stop laugh all the way to work. And I had to park on the opposite side of the parking lot so we wouldn't have to bump into each other walking into the building.

Thanks goodness I didn't need to call the help desk that day. I'm not sure I could've handled a conversation with the guy without lapsing into a total fit of hysterics!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay when it comes to envisioning movie scenes, i remember as a junior high student seeing movies and then saying to myself, "now if THIS had happened (to make the movie happier or whatever) then it would improve the movie" usually meaning the whole movie wouldn't have happened or else envisioning what happened after the movie ended.
i highly doubt other jr. high students ever had mental processes like that.

orangemily said...

What an interesting meet cute, too bad it was thwarted! Funny stuff though!

SophistiKate said...

That's hilarious!! Loved it! And I also think it's way awesome that you make up movie scenes when your mind wanders :)

Annj said...

Isn't it ironic. Don't ya think? No really. Bizzare that you would think that right before something like that happened.
I daydream about how I will handle different confrontations about things because often times it takes me a long time to figure out how to come back.

Kara said...

hmm....maybe you should write short stories. This was fun to read about your musings... take that for what it is. :) From my own type of insane, from dreams that make no sense.