Call me narcissist if you must but this blog is all about ME. I have another blog about my kids, whom I love and adore writing about. But I was Nicole a long time before I was mom and I don't intend to give up being Nicole overnight.

p.s.
You can read all about my kids at Naptime Optional.
Or you can follow along on our Arizona adventure on my 365 project blog.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

25 words

Tonight our lesson for FHE was given by my Sister-in-Law Emily. She took her lesson from President Monson's talk, Finding Joy in the Journey

A portion of the talk read as follows:

In the 1960s, during the Vietnam War, Church member Jay Hess, an airman, was shot down over North Vietnam. For two years his family had no idea whether he was dead or alive. His captors in Hanoi eventually allowed him to write home but limited his message to less than 25 words. What would you and I say to our families if we were in the same situation—not having seen them for over two years and not knowing if we would ever see them again? Wanting to provide something his family could recognize as having come from him and also wanting to give them valuable counsel, Brother Hess wrote—and I quote: “These things are important: temple marriage, mission, college. Press on, set goals, write history, take pictures twice a year.”


She then handed out paper and pens and challenged us to imagine we were in the same situation-having only 25 words to communicate to our family whom we haven't seen for 2 years and who we don't know if we will see again. What would we say?

So this is what I came up with.

Jesus is Savior. Atonement is real. Be generous. Serve others. Pray always. Be believing. Be responsible for choices. Eat your dinner because I LOVE YOU.

What are your 25 words?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember that talk. I loved your 25 words...especially the last 7.

orangemily said...

You did really well at coming up with that and quickly too. Over the course of 7 months of having that lesson ready (and re-preparing it quite a few times) I still only came up with 6 words. I'll have to get on that.